MOLISE - Breadballs with sauce
For the dough:
- 7oz of stale bread or bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- milk to taste
- 3 tablespoons Viaggio grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
For tomato sauce:
- 1lb Viaggio Italian peeled tomatoes
- 1 golden onion
- some basil leaves
- Viaggio Extra Virgin Olive Oil to taste
- 2 medium carrots
- 5oz of peas
- 5oz of provolone cheese
- Oil to taste to fry
- Crumble the stale bread (removing the crust) and soak it in the milk for about ten minutes. Squeeze the bread well, pour it into a bowl and add the eggs, Viaggio grated parmesan, 1 tbsp of chopped parsley, grated nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix well until completely combined and let it rest.
- Slice the carrots, mix them with the peas, then flavor the vegetables in a pan with a tablespoon of butter, adding a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cut the provolone into cubes of the same size. Create small balsa with the prepared dough, fill them with peas, carrots and provolone in cubes. Knead the balls and roll them in the breadcrumbs. Prepare a dense tomato sauce by cooking the Viaggio Italian peeled tomatoes with 2 tablespoons of Viaggio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a whole peeled onion. After 1 hour, remove the onion, add salt and pepper. Fry the balls of dough when the oil is at 320°, dry them with absorbent paper and pour them in the sauce, leaving to gain flavor on low heat for a few minutes.