CAMPANIA - Gnocchi Sorrentina
Preheat oven 475 degrees F (250 degrees C)
- 1lb Viaggio Gnocchi (1 pack)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3 tablespoons Viaggio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 can - 8.4oz whole peeled canned Viaggio San Marzano Tomatoes
- 4oz fresh Mozzarella, drained
- 1/3 cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Chop the mozzarella into small cubes
- Prepare the tomato sauce by placing the peeled tomatoes in food processor or crushing the by hand.
- Over medium heat 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a medium pan and when it's hot add the garlic.
- Cook the garlic until golden them remove it from the pan, add the pureed tomatoes and season with salt.
- Cook tomatoes over medium high heat for about 15 minutes, until thickened. Add a few leaves of fresh basil and remove from heat.
- In the meantime: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add Gnocchi.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the gnocchi into the tomato sauce pan as they rise to the surface of the water. This is an indication that the gnocchi are cooked. (It only takes about 2 minutes)
- Add the cut mozzarella and half of the grated Parmesan Cheese to tomato sauce - Mix gently
- Place Gnocchi mixture in oven safe dish, top with remaining cheese. Bake just until mozzarella as melted and gnocchi is bubbling hot, roughly 5 minutes.
- Garnish with Basil leaves and serve.