VENETO - Stuffed Eggplant
1 hr 30 minutes
6 to 8 servings
21 oz. eggplant
1 clove of garlic
1/3 cup Viaggio extra virgin olive
Salt and pepper to taste
5 basil leaves
3 oz. onion
10 oz. ground pork
2.5 oz. stale bread
1.7 oz. grated Romano
Viaggio Italian peeled tomatoes (blended) 1.1lb
1/2 cup white wine
- To prepare the stuffed eggplant start by cutting the ends of the eggplant, wash, dry and cut them in half .
- Make small cuts along the edge and remove the pulp from eggplant and put aside.
- Then add salt the inside of the Eggplant and place them on a drainer to lose its water for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare a tomato sauce: sauté chopped onion in half of Viaggio extra virgin olive oil and then add the Viaggio Italian peeled tomatoes, cook for about 15 minutes, then season with salt and add the basil leaves.
- Chop the remaining onion and brown it in a pan with a little oil and a clove of garlic. Once Golden, remove the garlic, add the minced meat of pork and cook it. When the meat starts to broil pour the white wine and let it evaporate.
- Now chop the drained eggplant pulp and add it to meat.
- Meanwhile dice the crumb of the bread. Mix it in a blender. Add this to the pan and cook for few minutes more.
- Then add 3-4 tablespoons of tomato sauce and turn off the heat. At this point, let the mixture cool a bit. Stir well and use it to fill the eggplants.
- Arrange the eggplant next to each other on a baking tray previously oiled, sprinkle each piece with a tablespoon of tomato sauce and sprinkle with grated Romano.
- Bake the stuffed eggplant for about 30 minutes at 355°.