UMBRIA - Cipollata Umbra
1 hr 30 minutes
2.2 lbs. onions
14 oz. Viaggio Italian Peeled Tomatoes
1.7oz. lard or butter
2 tbsp. Viaggio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Viaggio grated parmesan to taste
2 eggs (beaten)
3 basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
4 Slices of toasted bread
- Peel the onion and let them soak in cold water for a night.
- Chop the lard in a large pot and fry it with some Viaggio extra virgin olive oil on low heat.
- Add drained onions, salt, pepper, 3 basil leaves and cover with a lid.
- When liquid has evaporated, add Viaggio Italian peeled tomatoes and ½ cup of water.
- Stir often and cook for 90 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes, add Viaggio grated parmesan and add 2 beaten eggs.
- Serve with bread.