PIEDMONT - Risotto al Pomodoro
- Viaggio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups arborio or carnaroli rice
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups Viaggio Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 cups boiling hot Broth (type is to taste but we recommend Vegetable broth)
- ½ cup grated Viaggio Grated Romano or Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Chopped parsley & basil, for garnish
- Put 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onion, and season generously with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the onions, stirring, until the onions are slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add red-pepper flakes, garlic, white wine and cherry tomatoes, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups boiling broth and raise heat to high for a brisk simmer. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, constantly stirring well with a wooden spoon to ensure the bottom does not burn.
- When the liquid is absorbed, add remaining 1 cup water and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, until the rice is cooked, but the grains are still firm. Taste, adding more salt or pepper if necessary. Add another splash of broth if necessary to loosen the mixture. Turn off the heat, stir in the pecorino or parmesan and 2 more tablespoons olive oil.
- Transfer to a low, wide serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and basil. Sprinkle with more pecorino or parmesan cheese.